Coronavirus - Work and Updates
WEEK BEGINNING 1ST JUNE 2020:
New packs are available from Monday 1st June 2020, at the desk, if you are not returning to school. Please be aware that it will not be available until after 11am. You will also be provided with a new work book. One of the activities is an art project - if you need any resources e.g. clay or paints etc., please let me know and we can give these to you.
If you are coming back to school, you will have less work as there will just be homework for over the weekend.
Please see below the full list of activities for the children who are not coming back at all. The ones in bold are the homework for the weekend for the children who are in school. Any questions, please just drop me an email :)
Here is your next work pack from the 1 st June. These activities are for the next 2 weeks (but please contact me if you need any more work!) We are focusing on creating transition journals in workbooks, that you will take to your secondary school with you.
1. Design the front cover of your journal – the title is ‘Hero’s Journey’ and should be based on your ‘hero’ going on an adventure.
2. Write a diary entry about what the last 2 months have been like. What have you missed? Do you think it will change us as individuals/a community?
3. Design ‘hero’ of your journey. This will the character of the story – what attributes will your hero have to have to complete the journey? Design what they look like
4. Make your character into a 3D sculpture (small in size) using clay, card or any materials etc.
5. Making the mountain –create a 3D map/mountain/journey for the characters to go on (your character will go on this). It should have 6 milestones or places on that your character will have to reach.
6. Complete a fact file front cover for Vernon Terrace with a photo e.g. address, contact number, head teacher, teachers, website etc.
7. Autobiography: write some favourite memories, people you have met, favourite trips, favourite books read at school etc. with lots of picture and colour
8. Write a diary entry about your worries and things to look forward to as you move onto your new school. Can we give each other ideas on how to overcome those worries?
9. Write a letter to your future self. What do you hope has happened in the next 6 months? What advice could you give yourself? What support do you need to remind yourself of?
10. Complete a fact file for your new school with a photo e.g. address, contact number, head teacher, teachers, website etc. Print a map and find it – how far is it from your house? Plot your route. How long will it take? What time will you need to leave to get there on time?
1. semi-colon practice sheet
2. transition spelling shed list
WEEK BEGINNING 25TH MAY 2020:
Packs are STILL available from the school - thank you for the children who have collected them. I have been overwhelmed by the amount of children who are still working hard - you are making yourselves and Vernon Terrace very proud. We are looking forward to seeing the vast majority of you in 7 days :)
Keep busy with the activities provided below - if you finish early please let me know and I will send over some additional activities :)
From Miss Walker-Collins
WEEK BEGINNING 18TH MAY 2020:
Packs are available to collect from the office on 18th May 2020. If you need one sent electronically please let me know and I will email it over! Please see the activities below:
Here is your pack for the next 2 weeks. As always, please email me with any queries and concerns on firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not forget about the online learning that you can access: Spelling Shed, Prodigy, Sumdog, TTRockstars, Read Theory and Reading Eggs.
Contact me if you need anything or have run out of any supplies e.g. pencils, paper etc.
1. Sign on to play on Reading Eggs – no set assignment but I want everyone to log on for 30 minutes this week and play the games
2. Watch the video version of the book ‘Journey’ by Aaron Becker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRsmuveKWuk
In your books, write what you think is happening in the story.
3. Maths booklet
4. Indefinite Articles worksheet
5. Activity 5 and 6 about ‘The Door’
6. ‘From a Railway Carriage’ handwriting poem
7. SPAG Dice game – how many activities can you complete out of the 36?
8. Complete the secondary school transition activities
9. Spelling Shed competition testing year 5/6 spellings until 23.05.2020
10. Have a look at the step by step instructions for ‘How to Draw a Face’ – have a go at drawing a face (your own or someone else’s) using the instructions.
WEEK BEGINNING 11TH MAY 2020:
Happy should have been starting your SATs day!
Today is the day that SATs would have started,
The classroom set up and the tables parted,
The rules on the board, the display walls all covered,
Your workbooks away, out of sight in the cupboard,
Instead you are home, we're doing our bit,
Protecting your families from getting sick,
It's important right now, we're in lockdown you see,
Being part of an unusual part of world history,
You've all worked so hard, you should be so proud,
You've practised your SPAG and times tables out loud,
You've learnt algebra to the Nth degree,
And now the tests, they will no longer be,
Some may be sad that they can't take the tests,
'Hip hip hooray,' I've no doubt said the rest,
Whilst the tests are on hold and you stay home this term,
Remember that tests can't measure everything you learn,
And I don't need SATs results to tell me,
How hard you have worked, it's easy to see,
'Lockdown' Year 6, let me shout it out loud,
You've made all your teachers and parents so very proud,
So please continue to learn, fill that brain full,
And remember, we think you're all wonderful!
Well done year 6 - carry on with the work set last week. Packs are still available to be picked up if you have not yet. Hopefully, I will see you all soon. Do not forget to email me if you need any help: email@example.com :)
WEEK BEGINNING 4TH MAY 2020:
Here is your next pack of work for the next 2 weeks! Please complete in your workbooks – stick the activity in your book and complete on the next page. Remember, send me examples of your work every Friday so I can put it on the website and celebrate your hard work. Well done for continuing with your work, I am very proud of the attitude of most of you. Keep it all together as you will be asked to bring it in when we come back to school. PLEASE come into school to collect any resources you need. For example, pencils, paper or art supplies.
Remember to keep in touch over email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This can be about work or any other concerns you are having – this is a worrying time and it can be reassuring just to have a chat J
From Miss Walker-Collins
List of activities:
1. Activity 4 (design a door) and activity 5 (idioms)
2. Maths Home Learning Pack
3. Sumdog Challenge from 4 th May-11 th May.
4. Watch the trailer for our book ‘Journey’ by Aaron Becker https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/journey-by-aaron-becker-activities-ks1-2-or-sen-11741717
Imagine you open the door you designed in activity 1. What magical world could be behind it? Draw what you think is behind your magical door.
5. Cross off two more reading activities on the Reading Bingo sheet
6. Eddie the Eagle Editing task
7. Using the world map, plot 10 of the most famous art galleries in the world, with their most famous of piece of art in each one.
8. Learn these key British Sign Language greetings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2O_ymoCIR0
And the BSL alphabet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPTV1wq8Jw
And see if you can spell your name (send a video or photo!)
9. It is Ramadan month – look at the website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zdgrcqt
And complete the sheet ‘What is Ramadan?’
10. We are going through a crazy time – write a letter to your future self about what is happening and how you are feeling. (If you do not want me to post this on the website just let me know).
WEEK BEGINNING 27TH APRIL 2020:
PACKS ARE STILL AVAILABLE IN THE SCHOOL OFFICE TO PICK UP - THANK YOU TO ALL THE CHILDREN WHO HAVE DONE SO OR HAVE CONTACTED ME FOR THE ONLINE VERSION.
Please continue with the activities set out below in your learning packs - well done to those children who are still working hard! Please see this week's winners and best work on the '6CWC Blog and Home Learning..' page.
WEEK BEGINNING 20TH APRIL 2020:
The next year 6 learning packs will be available to pick up tomorrow Tuesday 21st April 2020.
Please see your next set of activities below. If you could complete them over the next two weeks and send me pictures of your work every Friday for the school website (and because I love seeing what you are up to!).
Keep safe and keep going,
From Miss Walker-Collins
Summary of Activities
1. Listen or read chapter 21 and 22 of ‘Beetle Boy’ (sent by email every Monday) and answer questions
2. Read Theory – can everyone log on and complete 10 reading comprehension activities. The winner will be the child with the most points.
3. Look at the front cover of our new book ‘Journey’ by Aaron Becker. Make some predictions about what the story may be about using modal verbs. Remember the rule of PEE – make your Point, Explain your ideas and give them Evidence from the front cover or blurb.
4. Finish the playscript for ‘Little Red Riding Hood’. I have left some sentences int there to give you clues. If you are not sure of the story there are many versions on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=little+red+riding+hood
5. Complete 2 challenges from the ‘Reading Bingo’ sheet – take a photo to evidence what ones you did!
6. Prodigy Assignment on data, measurement, factors and angles finishing on Saturday 25 th April 2020.
7. Google ‘Wassily Kandinsky’s painting circles’ and recreate your own version. You can use the paper template provided or create your own on separate paper.
8. Spelling Shed Assignment from Tuesday 21 st April – Saturday 25 th on new Gallery Rebel topic words
9. ‘Doors – the World of Possibility’ writing activities creating your own poem
10. Maths home learning pack – complete in booklets
WEEK BEGINNING 13TH APRIL 2020:
Hello everyone! I hope you are all keeping safe and entertained over the Easter break. Just a reminder about the tasks that were set in your Learning Packs (please see below). The Spelling Shed competition is now finished and you can see the winner on the '6CWC Blog and Home Learning...'. Additionally, this week I have set you:
- An assignment on Reading Eggs to be completed by next Friday (17th April)
- Chapter 19 and 20 of 'Beetle Boy' with the questions (sent via email on Monday 13th April).
- TT Rockstars competition until next Friday
Have a lovely week - continue to send your work to me through the week ready for me to put up next Saturday.
WEEK BEGINNING 6TH APRIL 2020:Thank you to all the children and parents who came in to collect the second Learning Packs on Friday. If you have not done so, they can still be collected next week. Any problems or if you need any help with the work let me know via email: email@example.com
Have a lovely Easter :)
Summary of activities:
- Chapter 17 and 18 listening and Reading Comprehension questions (week 1 - check email)
possessive apostrophes (group 3 and 4)
PLEASE COME INTO SCHOOL ON FRIDAY 3RD APRIL 2020 BETWEEN 09.00-15.15 TO PICK UP YOUR NEXT LEARNING PACKS.
WEEK BEGINNING 30TH MARCH 2020:
Hello everyone :)See below your tasks for the next week. I have put tasks under each day, but of course, you can be flexible with this. Remember, I will still be checking all the online websites (Spelling Shed, TTRockstars, Read Theory, Prodigy, Sumdog and Reading Eggs) and announcing the winners next weekend! To see this week's winners and work, please click on '6CWC Blog and Home Learning'. If you check your school email accounts, I have sent you the resources you need that are mentioned below:
I hope to see you all soon! Remember, any questions, problems or anything just drop me an email.
WEEK BEGINNING 23RD MARCH 2020:Hello Year 6 :),
This week, I have sent you home with nine activities to complete over the week:
1. Comic book mini beast activity (Art/Literacy)
2. Non-fiction butterfly write (Science/Literacy/ICT)
3. Reading comprehension with question booklet (Literacy)
4. Quick SPAG practise questions (SPAG)
5. Year 5/6 spelling activity (x2) (SPAG)
6. Film Review (Literacy)
7. Suspense Story (Literacy)
8. Dictionary skills (SPAG)
9. 3 Maths booklets (Maths)
Additionally, remember that you have all been sent home with passwords for the following educational websites:
Spelling Shed, Sumdog, Prodigy, Reading Eggs, TT Rockstars and Read Theory. Please keep going onto these when you have spare time, and I will let you know when I have set up assignments or activities on there for you.
Remember, try and get outside everyday, even if it is just for a walk around the local area - this will help keep your body and mind healthy!
Keep checking here to find out your work and see the activities for the next week - email me if you get stuck with anything.
Keep safe and hope to see you all back in school soon,